Most Frequently Asked Questions

The University of Wales Trinity Saint David is a new University created by the merger of two of the oldest and well established Universities in Wales including:

  • The University of Wales Lampeter founded in 1822, making it the oldest University in England and Wales other than Oxford and Cambridge
  • Trinity University College Carmarthen founded in 1848
  • Swansea Metropolitan University which was formed from three colleges originally established between 1853 and 1895.

The University now has campuses in Lampeter, Carmarthen, Swansea, Cardiff and London. The London campus was established in 2012 to meet the needs of international students who wish to live and study in a large cosmopolitan city and at the same time experience being part of a University with a unique history and ethos.

You will study at the University’s campus two minutes’ walk from Oval underground station in South London (ten minutes from the City of London by tube). This area is famous for the nearby historic Oval cricket ground, home of Surrey County Cricket Club, where many important test matches have been played. The campus is located in a large, modern section of the Kennington Park Business Centre, a complex of offices and workshops that is home to a wide range of businesses, and which includes a modern café/restaurant and a gym.  Nearby are local shops and Kennington Park, a large public park with many mature and historic trees as well as open areas for wildlife and biodiversity. It also includes sporting facilities, such as floodlit football pitches.

If you are studying for a BA or MBA at the London campus, you will be following exactly the same programme as students studying at the Carmarthen campus (BA Programmes) or Lampeter campus (MBA Programme). The assessment methods and standards are exactly the same. You will cover the same syllabus and study the same modules.

The London campus has intakes three times each year, normally in February, June and October. We would suggest that you apply at least 4 months before your intended start date if you are making an application from outside the UK and that you aim to have provided us with all the documentation we need to make you an unconditional offer and issue you a CAS at least 8 weeks before your intended start.

You will need to pay a specific deposit before you receive your CAS. The remainder of your first year fees need to be paid before you register with the University. If you are unable to take up your place because of some reason that is beyond your control any fee you have paid will be returned to you although the University will normally retain £100 towards the cost of processing your application. The University will not refund fees if you are yourself responsible for not being able to take up your place (eg. your visa application is rejected because you have provided false information or false documents to the UKBA).

We will need to see all your post-secondary level educational certificates and evidence that you meet both the UKBA and University English language requirements before we can make you an unconditional Offer. We will also need to see a copy of your passport and any UK visas you have had as well as the appropriate bank or building society statements (or loan letters or sponsorship letters from your National government) that you intend to submit with your visa application. If you are relying on a bank statement in your parents' name we will also need to see your birth certificate and a sponsorship letter from your parent).

We will be assessing whether you meet the academic criteria and English language requirements for the programme you are applying for (refer to "Programmes of Study" link ) but we will also be looking for evidence that you have a proper understanding of what is involved in the programme and how it will enable you to achieve your ambitions. We will be looking for evidence (in your personal statement and during your interview) that you have a broad interest in your proposed field of study, and a commitment to developing your relevant knowledge and skills base.

We will reject your application if you do not meet our academic or English language requirements or if we detect any irregularities with your application. In particular, your application will be automatically rejected if we discover that it was made or signed by someone else on your behalf, any of the information you provide is false or any documents are forged or altered in any way, your personal statement is copied from the internet or written by someone else or the reference details you provide are fraudulent. We will also reject your application if you are for some reason not eligible for a visa to enter or remain in the UK.


Yes, as a student at a publically funded University you will be able to work. If you are studying on a Bachelors, Masters or Doctoral programme you can work up to 20 hours a week during term time and without any restrictions during your term breaks. If you are studying on a Foundation programme, you can work up to 10 hours per week during term time and without restrictions during your term breaks.


If you are studying a level 7 or 8 programme that last over 12 months (such as our MBA, DBA or PhD programmes) you will be able to bring your dependents subject to them making a successful visa application. You should consult the UKBA website for details of their requirements in relation to Tier4 dependent visas. Please note that the only documentation you require from the University in relation to a visa application by a dependent is your own CAS statement.

If you are studying for a BA/BSc or on a Foundation Programme, UKBA regulations do not permit you to bring in dependents.

You will need to provide contact details for two referees - your referees should be people who know you in some official capacity - and at least one should be someone who taught you and who can comment on your academic abilities. Your second referee may also be an academic but could be an employer or line manager. You need to provide official contact details for both referees (private e-mail addresses or mobile phone numbers are not acceptable). You should not ask a relative or friend to act as a referee.

If you have not been able to get your visa in good time to travel to the UK for the registration week, you should contact us to discuss your situation. If you miss the start of your programme, you will normally need to defer to the next intake. If this happens it is important that you do not travel to the UK until a month before your new programme start date. If you enter the UK and are too late to register for your programme, we will have to inform the UKBA of this and your visa will be cancelled with immediate effect.

The TSD London campus attracts ambitious students from all over the world. From June 2013, we are offering a range of programmes from foundation level through to doctoral level

(PhD and DBA) so your fellow students will come from a variety of backgrounds and with a wide range of experience. You will meet students with very different backgrounds to yourself as well as potentially finding other students from your home country. London is home to around 400,000 students of whom around a quarter are International Students, so you will have opportunities to interact with and learn from students from many cultures studying at other Universities as well as your fellow students at TSD.

The cost of living in London and particularly the cost of accommodation is high in comparison to many other cities. You will find some basic information on the UKCISA website.